Died June 2012

Margaret Sheehy (58), known as Margot, was found dead in her flat on Springfield Road in Kingston, South London on 12th June 2012. A post-mortem examination gave her cause of death as asphyxiation.

A warrant was issued for the arrest of her son Sean Heiss (30). He fled the country and is now on trial in Spain for the murder of another woman, Clementina Nauta.

Ms Sheehy worked for the software solutions provider Intelliflo and was the mother of two sons.

Police were called to Ms Sheehy’s address following concerns for her welfare.

The police investigation was led by officers from the Homicide & Serious Crime Command. After Heiss fled to Spain, he was arrested there for a minor offence. Initially, the Metropolitan Police issued a statement: “On Friday 22 June a 28-year-old man was arrested on a European Arrest Warrant in San Sebastian, Spain, in connection with the murder of Margaret Sheehy in Kingston on 12 June.”

In fact, Heiss was arrested by San Sebastian police in the week beginning 18th June, in connection with a minor assault. At some point after that he was released. It is still not known how he was allowed to walk free.

The Death of Clementina Nauta:

Three months after his arrest in Spain, Heiss was arrested in Barcelona on suspicion of punching, kicking and stabbing Clementina Nauta to death at a cash machine one day in September 2012. Ms Nauta died in hospital from her injuries on the day she was attacked. She was a mother of three children.

A Spanish prosecutor wrote: “He repeatedly stabbed her in the throat and face, continuing to land blows and kicks – intending to kill her or, at least, knowing her death would result from the attack.”

Prosecutors added: “Clementina could not put up an effective defence, because the accused continued hitting her as she lay stunned by the pain and stretched out on the floor.”

Ms Nauta’s father, Alexander Nauta, has asked Spanish police why they released Heiss despite the UK arrest warrant. The retired airline pilot said: “She was one of those people who always wanted to help others. She had friends from the lowest of society – students, people on the street – to right up the chain. She loved and got on well with anybody.”

Ms Nauta was a long-term carer for her partner, who had been comatose for six months following a car accident.

If found guilty in Spain, Heiss faces 25 years in prison and fines to compensate Ms Nauta’s parents, children and partner.

Note: This report was drawn from reports in Murder Maps, The London News and the Metro.

Share this: